Complaints Procedures

If you have a concern or complaint

We would like you to tell us about it.  We welcome suggestions for improving our work in school.  Be assured that no matter what you want to tell us, our support and respect for you and your child in school will not be affected in any way.  Please tell us of your concern as soon as possible.  It is difficult for us to investigate properly an incident or problem which has happened some time ago.

What to do first

Most concerns and complaints can be sorted out quickly by speaking with your child's class teacher.

Any member of staff at the school can help you and direct you to the most appropriate person to deal with your concern/complaint.  If you have a complaint which you feel should be looked at by the head teacher in the first instance you can contact him straightaway if you prefer.  It is usually best to discuss the problem face to face.  You may need an appointment to do this, and can make one by ringing, calling or emailing school.  You can take a friend or relative to the appointment with you if you would like to do so.

All staff will make every effort to resolve your problem informally.  They will make sure that they understand what you feel went wrong, and they will explain their own actions to you.  They will ask what you would like schoolto do to put things right.  Of course, this does not mean that in every case they will come round to your point of view but it will help both you and the school to understand both sides.  It may also help to prevent a similar problem arising again.

What to do next

If you are dissatisfied with the teacher's response (or with the head teacher's initial reaction if he has already been involved) you can make a complaint to the head teacher.  This should be made in writing. 

You may also find it helpful at this stage to have a copy of the School’s Complaints Procedures as this explains in detail what procedures are followed.  This is available from the section below.

If your complaint is about an action of the head teacher personally, then you should refer your complaint to the chair of the governing board. Contact details can be obtained from the school office.

The head teacher will ask to meet you for a discussion of the problem and try and resolve the matter informally.  Again you may take a friend or someone else with you if you wish.  If we have been unable to resolve the matter informally, the head teacher or representative will conduct a full investigation of the complaint and may interview any members of staff or pupils involved.  You will receive a written response to your complaint.

Most problems can be resolved by the end of this stage. 


If your complaint has not been resolved

If you are still not satisfied you may wish to contact the chair of the governing board to ask for referral of your complaint to the governing board.  It will then be heard by a panel of governors who have no previous knowledge of the problem and so will be able to give it a fresh assessment.  You will be invited to attend and speak to the panel at a meeting which the head teacher will also attend.  The complaints procedure explains how these meetings operate.


Further action

Complaints about school problems are almost always settled within school, but in exceptional cases it may be possible to refer the problem to an outside body such as the Secretary of State for Education. The Department for Education will expect the complaint to have been considered by the school governors first. There is more detail in the full complaints procedure below or on the Department for Education website at

SelectionFile type iconFile nameDescriptionSizeRevisionTimeUser
  21 Feb 2018, 06:26 Broughton Admin